WHY STUDY FINANCE?
Finance is ultimately about taking optimal and strategic decisions in an uncertain environment, which applies to all areas of business. A modern manager requires good insight into the drivers of the financial situation of an enterprise, which is intimately connected with its success. The Master of Science programme in Finance, therefore, will provide you not only with the required education for a career in finance and consulting, but also a strong basis for management positions in a broad range of industries. BI's Department of Finance is ranked in the top ten in Europe, giving you a solid foundation as a starting point and an education that is recognised internationally.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The purpose of the programme is to provide the best possible education and environment for the development of well-trained, knowledgeable, and socially responsible professionals for finance and other related positions. At the same time, since Finance is a quantitative and analytical subject, students will develop these skills, which are transferrable to all other business disciplines. These skills form the basis for critically assessing problems and being able to make optimal and strategic decisions. The aim is to develop valuable individuals for corporations and society both in relation to current practices and designing a better future with the ability to adjust to new challenges with vision.The Master's programme in Finance has an applied focus. The students will develop IT and programming skills, to meet the needs of an industry that is becoming increasingly technological.
Among the most popular topics, you will find:
- Quantitative Methods for Finance: Will introduce you to programming in MatLab, as there is an increasing demand for finance candidates with technical skills
- Applied Valuation: Will learn you a range of valuation techniques, and when the different techniques should be used. The use of Bloomberg terminals will give you skills you need for a career in the industry
- Investments: You will review the different financial assets available to the portfolio manager, the markets in which they trade, their risk return characteristics and how they are priced.
CUSTOMISE YOUR DEGREE
Gain an advantage in the job market by tayloring your degree. As a Master of Science in Finance student, you can either choose an internship to obtain relevant working experience, or get an international dimension to your degree by going on exchange or Double Degree.
With a Master of Science in Finance, there will never be any doubt as to your qualifications, and a broad range of career opportunities will be open to you – both in Norway and internationally. The following are some examples of positions our graduates have obtained recently:
- Analyst M&A, Deutsche Bank
- Research Analyst, McKinsey & Company
- Director, Nasdaq
- Vice President, Credit Suisse
- Manager, KPMG
Our graduates have also secured jobs such as financial analyst in the oil industry, analyst in the stock market, adviser in a PR bureau, and senior executive officer in statistics and social analysis - to name a few.