1. Specialisation Objectives
The PhD specialisation in Strategic Management is developed to provide candidates with the knowledge and skills which enable them to produce important and original research of high quality. The specialisation builds on the research competence of the Department of Strategy and Logistics at BI Norwegian Business School, which aims to be among the leading strategy research departments in Europe. The specialisation is appropriate for highly motivated and capable individuals who want to pursue academic careers at top international level. The programme will focus on the field of Strategic Management from different theoretical and disciplinary perspectives, which is reflected in the course programme. The specialisation adheres to an open and pluralistic view of research, and the programme will provide a basis for a mature and critical attitude towards research in Strategic Management through in-depth study of theoretical and methodological issues.
2. The Department
The department provides teaching and conducts research on strategic perspectives in the areas of management, technology, organisations, decision-making and value creation, on a national as well as global scale. The department consists of about 25 faculty members, including 11 professors and 12 associate professors.
It is a research-oriented department that aims at producing research that makes a difference, both for the for businesses and organisations that use the knowledge and for the academic community. The department has a strong track record of publications in top journals. A list of recent publications are available on the Deparment's website.
3. Areas of Research
- Business strategy; especially models for value creation
- Corporate strategy; e.g. mergers and acquisitions
- International strategy; e.g. evolution of multinational companies, global corporate configuration, mangement of knowledge development and transfer across borders
- Strategy processes and implementation
4. Distinguishing Features of the Specialisation:
- Emphasis on quantitative as well as qualitative research methodologies
- Highly international profile (faculty as well as PhD candidates)
- Focus on international academic communication and knowledge dissemination through journal publications and conference participation