The French Presidency of the EU Council
BI and the French Embassy invites all students and other participants to a presentation that will focus on "The French Presidency of the Council of the European Union in 2022 : why is it also important for Norway?”
About the talk
On 1 January 2022, for the first time in 14 years, France will take over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union (EU). What does the presidency of the Council of the European Union mean?
The Ambassador will visit BI for a lecture where he will reflect on issues regarding immigration, economic growth, and how to uphold important values in the European Union.
The Ambassador’s presentation will focus on « The French Presidency of the Council of the European Union in H1 2022 : why is it also important for Norway?”
- 1/ A more sovereign Europe: together, we will aim at strengthening the Schengen area, better protecting European borders, controlling migration and improving the asylum policy, in line with Europe’s values and its international commitments;
our ambition will also be to build a stronger and safer Europe, which is more capable of action in the fields of security and defence.
- 2/ A new European model for growth: our joint objective is to make Europe a land of production, job creation, innovation and technological excellence;
but it is also to make Europe a place in which economic development is aligned with climate goals, that supports innovation and the growth of European digital players, and that offers high-quality, high skilled and better-paying jobs.
And last, but certainly not least,
- 3/ A humane Europe: a Europe that listens to the concerns expressed by its citizens, defends the rule of law and upholds its values;
a Europe that takes pride in its culture, trusts in science and knowledge, and is committed to fighting discrimination and securing a better future for the next generations.
Among all these priorities, the ambassador will focus his presentation on the themes that are particularly important for Norway and for the Norwegians.
About the council
The Presidency of the Council of the European Union rotates between the member states and lasts for six months. From 1 January to 30 June 2022, France will hold the presidency of the EU Council.
The Council Presidency organizes meetings, prepares compromises, delivers conclusions and ensures coherence and continuity in decision-making processes. It ensures good cooperation between all Member States and manages the Council's relations with the European institutions, in particular the Commission and the European Parliament.
Born: November 17, 1956
Professional career last 20 years
- 2002-2006 Budget Director at the Ministry of Economy and Finance
- 2006-2008 Chairman of the Management board of Océor, Caisse d’Epargne Group.
- 2008-2013 Partner, Chairman of the Strategic Committee, KPMG
- 2013-2019 Finance Inspector General, Ministry of Economy and Finance
- 2019 Feb. 1st Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Norway
- 1995-2001 City Councillor, Boulogne-Billancourt
- 2001-2007 Vice-Mayor, City of Boulogne-Billancourt
- 2007-2008 Mayor, City of Boulogne-Billancourt
- Time:Wednesday, 16 March 2022 16:00 - 17:30
- Place:BI, Campus Oslo
- Enrolment deadline:15.03.2022 23:59
- Contact:Ellen Heggelund (firstname.lastname@example.org)