BI's history year by year
On this page you find the history of BI, year by year.
2014: Accreditation from Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
2014: Election of President
Professor Inge Jan Henjesand elected as new Presidient of BI Norewgian Business School.
2011: English name changed
The English name was changed from BI Norwegian School of Management to BI Norwegian Business School
2010: Election of President
Professor Tom Colbjørnsen elected as president
NOKUT (The Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education) has decided that BI will obtain the status of a specialized university.
Inge Jan Henjesand
Meet Inge Jan Henjesand, the President of BI Norwegian Business School. He is the organisation’s most senior general manager and is employed by and reports to the board.
2006: New President
Professor Tom Colbjørnsen has been appointed new President of BI Norwegian School of Management.
2006: Founder passes away
BIs founder, Finn Øien, passed away 27th of January
2005: New campus
BI moves into its new campus in Oslo, Nydalen
2004: Reaccreditation by EQUIS
BI celebrates its 60th anniversary in Oslo Town Hall
Start of the international executive MBA programme in cooperation with ESCP-EAP, Paris
Start of the international Bachelor in Business Administration programme
The International School of Management in Lithuania is established. BI is the majority shareholder
EQUIS accreditation from the European Foundation for Management Development
1998: Dr. Oecon
BI is awarded the right to confer its own doctoral degree
Start of Master of Management (Change Management Programme) in China in cooperation with Fudan University, Shanghai
1993: Doctoral programme
Establishment of a doctoral programme in cooperation with the University of Oslo and Copenhagen Business School
1990: Master studies
Start of the international MBA and Master of Science programmes
BI opens a new building in Sandvika in addition to two other teaching venues in the Oslo area
1987: Three-year offer
All local campuses offer three-year Bachelor’s programmes
BI is awarded the right to offer the “Siviløkonom” degree (Master in Business and Economics)
1985: National network
Establishment of the network of campuses in Norway
1983: Four professors
Appointment of the first four, full professors
1979: Expanding again
BI moves yet again to a bigger building
1969: State funding
BI receives its first state funding for full-time studies and is converted from a private corporation to a not-for-profit foundation
BI moves to a bigger building in Oslo
1967: First computer
1964: Academic staff
Appointment of the first five permanent lecturers
1959: New campus
The first BI campus outside Oslo is established in Drammen
BI students become eligible to receive student loans from the State Educational Loan Fund.
1946: Full-time programme
Launch of a two-year full-time programme in “Office Management”.
1943: The establishment
Finn Øien establishes Institute for Business Economics “Bedriftsøkonomisk Institut” (BI) as a private corporation offering evening classes.