Interview with Berge Bakken
Image and Personalia
- Name: Berge Bakken
- Born (year): 1999
- Degree: Bachelor in Business Administration
1. When were you an active case student at BI and at which campus?
I was a member of the BI Case Teams during their activities in the spring of 2023 and the fall of 2022.
2. Why did you decide to join BI’s case activities?
I decided to join the BI Case Teams because I saw it as a golden opportunity to learn how to strategize and solve complex business problems, gain hands-on experience working with companies, and get to know like-minded people.
3. What was the name of your case team and how did you find your teammates?
During my time with the BI Case Teams, I had the opportunity to work with several teams, which allowed me to develop my collaboration skills and learn how to work effectively with different people. One of the most memorable experiences I had was participating in a case competition in LA with a team called Brave Consulting. This team originated in Stavanger under the national case competition.
4. Did you have a specific role on your team?
During my time with the BI Case Teams, I had the opportunity to explore various roles and responsibilities. But my main area of focus was financial- and situation analysis. While competing in LA, I took on a leadership role within the group, responsible for group dynamic.
5. Which case competitions did you take part in?
I took part in BI National Case Competition in Stavanger, BI International Case Competition Open online, and Marshall International Case Competition in LA, USA.
6. What is your best memory from your case journey at BI?
I have trouble deciding, since I have so many great memories from my case journey at BI, but I would say that two stand out. The first was winning with my team in Stavanger. The second was when all the participants in Marshall International Case Competition gathered in a hotel room to celebrate after the competition. I am still talking to several participants until this day.
7. What are your top three takeaways from case training and competitions?
My top three takeaways from my time with the BI Case Teams are as follows:
- BI Case Teams provided me with an incredible opportunity to learn about business, develop my teamwork skills, and discover my areas of interest.
- Making friends with like-minded individuals and learn from their experience.
- Finally, the BI Case Teams program was a really fun and memorable experience. The chance to travel and participate in competitions was exciting and I have gained memories for life.
8. What skills did you learn from participating in case which were relevant to your development/career and how?
Participating in the BI Case Teams program allowed me to develop different skills that have been relevant to my personal and professional development. Some of these skills include:
- Creating and structuring PowerPoint presentations
- Organising teamwork
- Improving my proficiency in English
- Working under time pressure
- Storyboarding: I learned how to structure and present complex problems in a clear and way using storyboarding techniques.
- Creating financial models and visualizing key takeaways in graphs
Overall, these skills have been highly relevant to my career because it has helped me improve my performance in case interviews. Besides improving your skillset, BI Case Teams provides you with experiences that relevant for any career path. For example, working in performance teams. In an interview you will be able to reflect and showcase yourself through these experiences.
9. Do you have any advice to students who are curious about case?
My advice to anyone curious about BI Case Teams is to apply. If you are accepted, go in with eagerness and curiosity. You will have an incredible learning experience, gain valuable skills, and make great friendships. BI Case Teams offers an opportunity to develop your problem-solving, teamwork, and presentation skills, and can be a great steppingstone in your career.