The course focuses on an overview of the field of strategy, and strategic choices on the top level of the organization. The course will give insights into strategic frameworks and tools, and will be related to strategic options in practice through an understanding of strategic processes.
- The concept of strategy
- Vision and mission
- Value structuring and goal formulation
- Internal analysis, industrial analysis, Porter's five forces, value configuration, PESTEL
- Strategic choice
- Business and corporate strategies
- International strategy
- Evaluation of alternatives
- Implementation of strategy - strategy in action
Learning outcome knowledge
During the course students should:
- Develop a good understanding of strategic leadership, including management and development of the resources of the organization.
- Make use of analysis tools to assess the strategic position of an organization
- Learn about problems and methods connected with development in different kinds of organizations, small as well as large ones, and in different industries.
- Acquire an understanding of how strategy integrates different knowledge areas, such as business economics, logistics, organization theory and marketing.
- Be able to focus on decision making and the use of practical tools in situations with conflicting objectives.
- Written assignment: 50%
- Oral examination: 50%