Advanced Regression and Classification Analysis, Ensemble Methods and Neural Networks
Complete course description will be ready summer 2022.
The vast amount of widely available data allows machines to solve challenging tasks without explicitly being programmed to do so, often outperforming existing methods based on domain knowledge and/or human experts.
In this course we focus on basic machine learning methods, both for supervised and unsupervised learning. We will look at how exactly machines "learn" from the data, and how they use the knowledge learned during training to solve tasks of interest.
The course covers both the theory (looking at the methods more rigorously than introductory machine learning courses) and the practice of machine learning (using Python).
- Recapitulation (supervised vs. unsupervised learning, linear regression and classification).
- Advanced regression and classification.
- Neural networks (feedforward neural networks, backpropagation algorithm, stochastic gradient descent).
- Practical aspects of neural networks (e.g., architectures, weights initialization, normalization, regularization, dropout, optimized training methods).
- Ensemble methods (boosting and bagging).
- Model selection and assessment.
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.