Energy Transition in a Carbon Constrained World
This course is part of the Executive Master of Management in Energy in cooperation with BI Norwegian Business School and IFP School.
This course will offer participants the opportunity to discuss the requirements to provide energy for all in a 10 billion people world, while coping with the challenges of a changing climate.
As the world economy is today mostly fueled by fossil resources, the Energy transition module will present the tools (carbon pricing mechanisms, climate governance) and the solutions for a future decarbonized world (renewable energies, energy efficiency).
Through several lectures and discussions regarding technologies and their implementation in different sectors, the course will provide the participant with a vast and general overview of sustainable energy systems and their impact on the industries, society, environment, markets and our everyday life.
The issue of climate change
- The climate system and the physical aspects of climate change
- Sources and drivers of greenhouse gases emissions
- Challenges ahead: the +2°C ceiling
Renewable energies: economic challenges & opportunities
- Renewable markets overview (costs, installation volume, )
- Economics of renewable energies, market integration challenges and new business models
- Renewable project management case-study
Energy efficiency: finance & policy
- Energy efficient solutions overview in different sectors (transport, building, industry)
- Assessment of energy efficiency policies and finance mechanisms (national and international action plans, political challenges, financing)
- Greenhouse gases emissions regulations
- Climate international governance: from Rio to COP21 & the Paris Agreement business implications
- Carbon regulation: carbon markets (focus on EU, US, China)
- Environmental fiscal regulation and norms
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.