In this course students receive and introduction to the media-based aspects of the entertainment business, including the film, TV, book, music and game businesses. This includes other entertainment products that have their source in other sectors, such as TV sport or streamed stage art (concerts and theater). Value creation in these businesses happens primarily by creating experiences for the public, something which is becoming more and more important, also in other businesses. Media-based entertainment products are often complex due to their being a result of interaction among many players with different artistic, technical, and business backgrounds. Furthermore, they are connected to time and place in a fashion similar to the live businesses. Consequently, there are fewer natural limitations, and technology has made the entertainment markets virtually limitless. The remaining limitations are to a great extent culturally, institutionally and economically related.
In the course it is emphasized that students should be able to apply the knowledge they have acquired. Among other things, they will be working with tasks tied to real and concrete challenges that players in the business face and will solve them with the aid of analytical tools adapted to the entertainment business the subjects of economics, organization and management.
- The relationship between entertainment, art and culture
- The film, TV, book and game businesses: unique characteristics and common features
- Entertainment products’ special features and characteristics
- Franchises and “universes” in the entertainment business
- Markets and marketing
- Entertainment consumption
- Players, processes and value systems
- Value creation and distribution
- Business models and financing
- Organizations and collaborations
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.