The course will give a broad introduction to the topic household insurance. Mandatory in authorization of claims handlers and advisers working with household insurance.
The Insurance Contract/ The Insurance Contracts Act
- Regulation regarding formation of contract, premium rating and claims handling. Duty of disclosure, Insurance certificate, limitations, limitation period/ cancellations, complaint handlings, complaint boards, fraud.
Terms regarding household, detached house, agricultural insurance, group household insurance and insurance of valuables.
- Terms regulation regarding who is insured, what is insured, where is the insurance valid.
- Terms regulation regarding what kind of damages is covered/not covered natural hazards included, limitations, hazard increase, safety codes and identification regulations.
- Regulations regarding objects fully insured , first loss and fixed amount insurances including stipulation of amount insured, index adjustments, reporting of extensions of the house or new household assets that should be insured specially.
- Regulations regarding legal assistance or liability insurance covered by the household insurance contract.
Scale of rate and ratings
- Central principles of rating, including rating of class of construction, location, types of insurance and safety measures.
- Practical use of ratings , manually calculation of premium.
- Principles of underwriting
- Safety measures - risk preventions.
- Main principles regarding claims handling. Date limits reporting damage or accident, regulation of limitation periods, interest rates and the policyholders duty of disclosure.
- Regulations regarding calculation of compensation of fully insured, first loss or fixed amount insured objects including own risk, underinsurance, new-for-old deduction, rebuilding, fraud and breach of duty of safety regulations.
- Guidelines regarding expert assessment
A review of the most common insurance products covered by travel insurance. Accompanied baggage, travel sickness, liability and repatriation.
- Terms regarding who is insured, what is insured, including accompanied luggage, travel sickness, liability insurance and travel accident insurance; and where is the insurance valid.
- Terms regulations regarding what kind of damages is covered/not covered, limitations, special types of coverage, including all-year-round- and short-term insurance policies and cancellation insurance.
- Regulations regarding claims handling.
- Safety codes including supervision and storing of luggage, consequences of breaching the safety regulations, fraud and information regarding complaint boards.
- Main principles regarding claims handling and rating.
- Philosophy of loss prevention
- Locks and alarms
- Relevant laws and regulations
- Remaining Value Salvage
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.