The concept of “leadership” emerged to enrich the idea of a “manager” as an organizational engineer. Surrounded by hypes and myths, the leadership concept has remained a globally popular concept to describe the role and performance of business executives and public administrators on all levels. The reason for this is the necessity to safeguard the life of organizations as real social entities in contrast with their abstract existence as planned realities in the form of budgets and strategic documents. The purpose of this course is to let the students understand various ways of understanding their leadership roles, how to fill the roles and how to make use of the available knowledge about leadership to improve their performance and survive their job demands.
- The basic roles of management and leadership
- The difference between social and technical validation of decisions
- Creating realities
- Personality and mindsets as talents and pitfalls
- The role of communication and language in leadership
- Charisma and other central concepts of leadership perceptions
- Teams and post-heroic leadership
- The dark side of leadership
- Developing leaders as tool for leadership and cross-cultural leadership
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.