Norwegian Culture and History - An Introduction
The purpose of the course is to give the students an insight into Norwegian history, culture and society with an emphasis on politics, economics and culture from 1814 until today. Norwegian culture means culture in a traditional sense, with in-depth studies of selected topics such as literature, music, architecture and visual art. There will also be excursions to Norwegian heritage sites.
The course consists of the following topics:
- The Democratic Capitalism Thesis and the Nordic model
- Norwegian History: 800-1814
- Cultural history: the national projects
- Cultural representations - past and present: Literature. Paintings-visual art. Music. Architecture and design.
- Norwegian History: 1814-2019
- Coastal Norway
- The egalitarian tradition
- Norway's oil economy
- Gender Equality in Norway
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.