Students participating in this course will be guided towards the completion of a research proposal. The main aim of the course is to provide students with the knowledge and skills in order to successfully complete a masters thesis.
The first part of the course covers the philosophical underpinnings of research in the strategy field. This includes the fundamentals of research design. The main section of the course covers both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Introduction to the Research Process - philosophy of science, research proposals, research process, research ethics
- Research Design - problems, questions, collection and design
- Secondary Research and Analysis - literature searching, literature reviews, review articles.
- Qualitative Research - assumptions, ideas, methodologies and methods
- Computer-assisted data analysis
- Qualitative and quantitative methodology, either one or combined, with a focus on the needs of designing strategy research
During the semester there will be thesis seminars to guide the students towards writing a thesis registration form. This is conducted outside the course.
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.