This course gives an introduction to statistics. Main themes are descriptive statistics, probability and hypothesis testing. Formulas and formal procedures play an important role, but the emphasis is on developing statistical literacy and critical thinking.
- Probability. Basic definitions. Limits of relative frequencies.
- Introduction to Monte Carlo simulation.
- Random variables and their distributions. Approximating distributions through Monte Carlo simulations: Histograms as approximations to densities.
- The law of large numbers and the central limit theorem illustrated through Monte Carlo simulations.
- Confidence intervals and hypothesis testing in large samples. A brief summary of the t-test under normality assumptions.
- Correlation and simple linear regression.
- Assessing the performance of statistical procedures using Monte Carlo simulations.
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.