Topics in Portfolio Management
This course focuses on the dynamics of the portfolio management process, blending academic theory with professional best practices. The objective is to introduce a framework for a disciplined approach to global asset allocation and risk management. We consider both the investor and the asset manager's perspective and thei different chanllenges they face, as well as the ethical dimensions of both the manager/investor relation and of the invvestment process. Participants will gain understanding of the issues through real-world examples, cases study discussions and computer exercises. A basic knowledge of excel is expected.
The course will cover among others the following topics:
- Review of the Portfolio Management Process. The Investment Policy Statement
- Investment process - client perspective
- Risk and Return - Historical record Portfolio Optimization and Asset AllocationCAPM, APT and Multifactor Models Applying the CAPM : The Black-Litterman Approach Risk Management and VAR Managing Currency Risk and the International Dimension in Investment Management
- Strategic allocation across investor types: indivdual vs institutions, domestic vs international, foundations, pension funds, natioal reserve funds and sovereign wealth funds.
- Portfolio Performance Evaluation and Manager Assessment
- Efficient markets and Active Management.
- Ethical Investments, Impact and Sustainable Investments and the Ethics of Investment Management
- Alternative Investments and Hedge Fund Strategies
- Trading and Implementation
- Topics may be added and removed from the course to reflect on current issues and development in the asset management and investment field.
- Fintech and digital approaches to investment advisory and investment management
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.