Communication for Leaders
This is the only programme of its kind at the master’s level in Norway. It is tailor-made for those seeking a career as a leader within PR or corporate communication, as well as those from other disciplines interested in how communication influences the success of the organization as a whole.
Why Communication for Leaders?
Communication professionals and communication departments are becoming more and more central to the success of today's organizations. This is because coordination among people and departments within organizations and establishment of stronger relationships with the outside world are essential for achieving the goals of any organization.
This programme provides you with the strategic tools necessary to achieve a top leadership role within communication. It is also suitable if you are leader of another function, like human resources, R&D or marketing, as you will learn how to interact with a communication department to utilize their competencies to support and achieve your goals.
You will learn from some of Europe’s foremost corporate communication lecturers, and hear experiences from top communication leaders. The focus is on running, governing and analyzing long-term and proactive corporate communication strategies. We also emphasise understanding underlying business models and how an organization or company can be positioned as a brand. You will gain knowledge about how to organize the communication function to best achieve your goals.
In short, this programme will build your strategic, managerial and analytical capabilities, and give you the insight you need to develop effective communications and communication departments.
- Corporate Communication Leadership and Strategic Management: In this module, we explore key challenges in the field of corporate communication and discuss communication leaders’ routines and their drivers for success.
- Building Strategic Competencies: Here, you will get tools to help you think and act strategically and learn principles for systems thinking, innovation and the stakeholder approach. This module will enable you to help your organization be clear about where they are and provide insight about where they need to be in the future.
- Creating Legitimacy: Reputation and Corporate Branding: This module provides insight into branded communication and its proper role in strategic management. We also use theories of social interaction and consumer behavior to better understand the scope and objectives of professional communication.
- Managing Communication and the Communication Function: You will learn about the infrastructure of communication in organizations and key processes to manage communication strategically. In this module we focus on relationships to the board, marketing, human resources, management accounting, and other partners within the organization.
- Leading the Future Corporate Communication Function: The last module takes us to Berlin, where you will meet international communicators, learn from best practices and get the latest insights on how to interact with international audiences. We will also visit companies for valuable insights into their expertise within the field. In Berlin, you will also present the thesis projects you have worked on during the course, stimulated by discussions among your classmates, the lecturers and international peers.
Top quality partnership
The module in Berlin takes place at Hertie School of Governance. Located in the heart of the bustling city, this is a leading institution of higher learning for the international, interdisciplinary, and intersectoral study of governance and policy. A sought-after and highly-valued resource of top-quality expertise and state-of-the-art knowledge to governments, businesses, and civil society.
Welcome to a one hour information meeting about the programme from 16-17.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or would like further information about our Executive Programmes.
Peggy Simcic Brønn
Brønn is the leader of BI’s Centre for Corporate Communication, and voted by Norwegian practitioners as one of the country’s most influential persons in the area of PR and corporate communication.
Fieseler is the co-leader of BI’s Nordic Centre for Internet and Society, and a leading expert in organizational identity, corporate social responsibility and computer-mediated-communication.
Zerfass is Europe’s foremost scholar in PR and corporate communication. He is professor at the University of Leipzig, where he leads Germany’s number one ranked master in communication management.
Related faculty publications
"Taking a master programme in communication at BI is one of the smartest decisions I have made in a long time. I have learnt how to step back and take a strategic view of my whole organization, to identify strengths and weaknesses, problems and opportunities, to evaluate whether the communication function has the right set-up to deliver on strategic goals – and much more. "
Senior Communication Advisor, WWF-Norway
Oslo: Autumn 2018
The programme is taught over the course of one year and consists of five modules. The modules are three-five days each. The fifth and last module takes place in Berlin. The remaining four modules are taught at BI's facilities.
The programme is completed with two examinations; a written exam and a project paper. The paper will be a practical assignment which you may base on challenges from your own organization.
You receive a Master of Management diploma when you accomplish the programme. If you choose to complete three master programmes, you will be rewarded an Executive Master of Management degree diploma.
With all of our master programmes, you will have a direct contact person who will be available from the time of appliaction until the final exam.
Oslo: Elisabeth Margot Lund - telephone - 464 10 073 - e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the admission requirements for this programme.
See Tuition fees at BI Norwegian Buisness School for complete overview.
We will send out literature lists to all students well before the course starts. If you want an overview of the literature before you decide, you can order it here.