Would you like to learn how to break down data and economic theories to their core, to better understand and apply them? Learn through real-world cases and the latest in data science techniques.
Why study Applied Economics?
This master’s programme provides you with a solid foundation in core economic theories, together with the tools to apply them in real-life situations. It will prepare you for the modern economy, with insight you can apply to making informed business decisions and market analysis. It has a quantitative focus, using analytical tools to simulate economic models. You will analyse data and apply empirical results to solve economic problems, stimulate growth, and prescribe optimal business performance. Through this programme you will develop the ability to analyse how decisions impact both businesses and society as a whole.
What will you learn?
This programme has a quantitative focus and integrates data science techniques in courses to simulate economic models and analyse data. You will develop strong analytical skills and learn a framework for analysis that can be applied to a great variety of areas, ranging from international trade, business cycles and financial markets, to firm competition, market analysis, and strategic behaviour.
You will learn basic programming and data management, and you will learn the main econometrics estimation methods, using both time series and panel data. You will apply these methods to cases relevant for businesses. The emphasis on analytical and quantitative skills throughout the programme will enable you to understand and develop strategies based on statistics, therefore improving on decision making in this digital age.
Among the topics you will find:
- Incentives, Wages and Labour Markets: Understand recent trends in labour markets related to technological innovation (digitalisation and automation) and globalisation, and gain knowledge and skills necessary to quantitatively analyse labour markets, wage determination, and human resource management.
- Macroeconomics: Learn the models and empirical techniques used by leading macro-analysts, and analyse macroeconomic events by simulating numerical models. Typical topics are investment, sustainable development, inflation, and how monetary and fiscal policy affect the economy and business.
- Data and programming: Learn basic programming for data management, data analysis, and model simulation.
You will have the opportunity to learn directly from leading economists within fields such as Econometrics and Statistics, Industrial Organisation, and Macroeconomics. You will become part of an environment that has strong ties to both the business community and policy makers.
The MSc in Applied Economics programme is a two-year, 120-ECTS-credit programme consisting of 90 course credits and 30 MSc thesis credits.
- Core courses Courses common across all programmes at BI.
- Programme courses Courses specific to this programme.
- Electives Courses you can choose yourself.
Customise your degree
Gain an advantage in the job market by tailoring your degree. As a Master of Science in Applied Economics student, you can choose either an internship to obtain relevant work experience, or add an international dimension to your degree by going on exchange or choosing the QTEM Master Network option.
Gain practical work experience with a leading company as an integrated part of your degree.
Why you should spend a semester abroad and where you can go.
With a Master of Science in Applied Economics degree, you will be a relevant and attractive candidate for a great number of positions, both in the private and public sector. Since the basic concepts in Economics are transferrable, you will be able to work all over the world.
Examples of career possibilities:
- Economics consulting/ management consulting
- Chief Economist
- Macro/micro analyst
- Strategic advisor
- Data analyst
Priority application deadline for Master of Science: 1 March
After 1 March, applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
View available Master of Science scholarships
Student life is a lot more than lectures and auditoriums.
Telephone: +47 46 41 00 00 or E-mail: email@example.com
Meet with us
Schedule a counselling appointment now.
The Master of Science in Applied Economics is a new programme in development to begin in August of 2019. Details and descriptions are subject to change.