A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Scholarship Programme
Supporting international students in their pursuit of a Master of Science degree.
Since 2010, the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation has supported international students at BI Norwegian Business School through a generous scholarship programme. The objective of The A. Wilhelmsen Foundation scholarship is to contribute to the financing of education in Norway for international students.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the candidate must apply for admission to, and be accepted in, a Master of Science programme at BI Norwegian Business School.
Please note that it is not possible to apply for a scholarship directly through the Wilhelmsen Foundation. To be considered, applicants must include a scholarship application letter addressed to the attention of the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Board with their application for admission via BI’s online application portal.
For more information regarding the donor of this generous scholarship programme, please visit the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation.
All inquiries regarding this scholarship are to be directed to International Recruitment at BI Norwegian Business School at email@example.com.
Who can apply:
Applicants who are residents of countries outside Norway. Wilhelmsen's many areas of activity include the Baltic region, Russia, Portugal, and the Caribbean. Candidates from these regions are especially encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
All applicants must write a scholarship application letter for this specific scholarship, addressed to the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Board, to be uploaded with your application for admission. The letter should be maximum one page. You are advised to include your goals and motivation for studying at BI, your career ambitions, and how you feel that you can contribute to the programme and study environment. It is also important to include information regarding your family and economic situation, and explain why you feel the scholarship is necessary for you to fulfil your education and career ambitions.
Grades from previous studies, previous experiences, personal ambitions and financial need are part of the decision criteria.
Admission application, including your scholarship application, must be received by March 1.
Selection of Recipients
A committee consisting of representatives from A. Wilhelmsen Foundation and BI Norwegian Business School will carry out the selection of scholarship recipients. BI aims for a national and international mix in the student body. Hence, priority may be given to applicants from selected countries, selected partner schools of BI, or enrolled in priority master's programmes. Preference is given to applicants seeking to earn their first master’s degree.
Scholarship offers will be sent to selected candidates throughout the admission cycle. All scholarships will be awarded by the end of April with the exception of the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Scholarship and the BI-Luiss Joint Masters in Marketing Scholarship which are awarded later in the spring.
Scholarship decisions cannot be appealed.
The value of this scholarship is and the size of the scholarship is NOK 150.000 annually (75.000 per semester). The scholarship will be administered by BI who is also responsible for the academic follow-up of the recipients. Study progression by the recipients will be followed, and scholarship payments to the student for each semester of the master's degree is dependent on satisfactory study progression, as outlined in the Scholarship Contract.
No internship, thesis counseling, or job opportunities are attached to this scholarship, but previous recipients have been able to make personal agreements when possibilities have arisen.
Conditions for Renewal for Second Year:
- Full study progression (30 ECTS) in each semester.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of a "B" on the ECTS scale after completion of each academic semester.
- Candidates who are awarded the scholarship must be prepared to be "BI Ambassadors", acting as spokespeople, assisting in recruitment efforts and promoting a good study environment. The details regarding responsibilities will be specified in the Scholarship Contract.
Number of Scholarships
For the academic year commencing Autumn 2022, two scholarships are available.
- You may apply for more than one scholarship; however, BI Norwegian Business School will award only one scholarship per student.
- Awarded scholarships are tied to academic programme and campus, and are not transferrable.
- International candidates who are eligible for a student loan in Norway from Lånekassen (180 ECTS bachelor degree from a Norwegian educational institution) may apply for the BI Presidential Scholarship or the A. Wilhelmsen Foundation Scholarship. Candidates will be considered as domestic applicants for the purposes of the BI Presidential Scholarship and therefore do not qualify for the stipend for living costs.
- Candidates who have already earned a master’s degree are not given priority for scholarships.
Only candidates admitted to a Master of Science programme commencing Autumn 2022 will be considered for this scholarship.