Students who have a relevant education background may be able to have previous education approved at BI Norwegian Business School. BI has three types of approval.
If your background covers BI courses that are included in your degree, you can apply for exemption for examination from specific courses, on the basis of formal competence or non-formal competence / prior work and learning experience
- You may be granted course-by-course exemptions on this basis for a total of 29 credits. The course for which you are applying for exemption must be part of your degree programme and you may not apply for exemption of elective courses.
- For Bachelor of Management, you can only apply for exemption from core courses in the degree programme.
- It will be evident from your certificate that the exemption is granted on the basis of non-formal competence / prior work and learning experience.
- An exemption does not reduce tuition fee.
- If exemption is granted for a course, you can still take the examination. The rule assumes that the courses are part of the course portfolio at BI, and that you are within the completion deadline. If you have been granted exemption in a course, and you choose to take the course examination at a later time, you must personally register for the examination within the given deadlines. You can choose whether you want your certificate to read the grade or exemption.
- If you have used up your examination attempts, you cannot apply for exemption.
- A granted exemption from an examination can change the degree programme and thus have consequences for loans / stipends through the Norwegian Loan Fund.
Regarding formal competence
Exemption applications with documented formal competence must have a relevant professional background which in sum covers the BI course's credits.
Regarding non-formal competence
Non-formal-competence / prior work and learning experience must be acquired after 18 years of age, and you can be granted course-by-course exemptions on this basis for a total of 29 credits.
For examinations / studies forming the basis for authorisation, and thus have grade requirements, you cannot apply for exemption on the basis of non-formal competence / prior work and learning experience (see the Academic regulations Section 4-4, 2 b)
To earn a degree / certificate
The student must have earned at least 60 credits at BI Norwegian Business School to be awarded a degree To receive a certificate from one-year studies, a minimum of 30 credits must be earned at BI Norwegian Business School.
The application for exemption form can be found here. Please hand in the application to your guidance counsellor at your local campus.
Regarding applications for exemptions on the basis of non-formal competence / prior work and learning experience, send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|1. May-1. June||Processed by BI at the latest by the start of semester.|
|1. August-1. September||Processed by BI at the latest by 25. September|
|1. January-1. February||Processed by BI at the latest by 25. February|
- The processing time assumes that the application is submitted as complete as regards filling in and attachments during the application period.
- Other application deadlines apply to Master of Science students. Please contact the Master Administration (email@example.com)