Practical Information

Study Permit

You may need a study permit to live in Norway for more than three months. See what immigration rules that applies to you.

Immigration rules differ according to your citizenship. Please consult the UDI application guide and enter your nationality to see what applies to you. 

Students with citizenship outside EU/EEA:  Study Permit

Please visit UDI’s website for information about the application process for your citizenship. Follow the link Want to apply to see what applies to you, and follow all the steps carefully. 

We strongly recommend that you apply for your study permit as soon as you have received your offer of admission from BI. The process can take up to eight weeks. 

Application Fee for a Study Permit: NOK 5,400 payable to the Norwegian Government. Please note that the amount is subject to change. 

Students with citizenship outside EU/EEA: Proof of Finance

The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) requires you to transfer money to BI’s deposit account in order to secure a study permit (please note that this does not apply to exchange students from BI's partner universities). More detailed information will be provided for applicants upon receiving an offer of admission. Please note that the amount is to cover one year of tuition fees and one year of living expenses. For the 2019-20 academic year, this amount is approximately NOK 206,000.

Further, please note that this money is only deposited to BI Norwegian Business School. This means that you have not paid for housing or tuition, and will have to pay these via invoice, from the deposit account. The money will be transferred back to you once you open a Norwegian bank account. Before the money is transferred to your Norwegian account, you have access to it for paying bills and withdrawing cash.

If your study permit is not granted or if you withdraw before the deadline specified in your student contract, the funds you deposited will be refunded to you.

EU/EEA citizens*: Registration Scheme

You do not need a study permit to study in Norway, but you must register online after arrival (not before) at Please wait for further instructions from your programme administration at BI.

*Citizens of Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Sweden are exempt from the registration scheme.