Department of Accounting, Auditing and Business Analytics
The Department of Accounting, Auditing and Business Analytics contributes to research-based teaching and knowledge development within accounting, auditing, business analytics and logistics at every level.
|Head of Department||Ingunn Myrtveit|
|Head of Administration||Gunn Akselvoll|
The Department has a heavy teaching load with responsibility for several of the major, compulsory courses in BI’s bachelor programme. The Department also has a large course portfolio at the master and executive levels. The Department faculty maintain close contacts with business and industry. Teaching as well as research have a distinctly practical focus, and the Department is e.g. in charge of many customised courses in BI’s corporate portfolio. Several of the Department faculty members teach at Executive MBA and Executive Master of Management at BI’s recognised international partner institutions at Fudan University in Shanghai and Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
Research in this department relates to auditing, Norwegian and international accounting law, intellectual capital, executive salaries, corporate governance, productivity analysis, transport analysis, humanitarian and environmental logistics.
People and achievements
- Lecturer Knut E. Larsen received the Department’s teaching award in 2016 for excellent educational efforts
- Professor Hanno Roberts was elected “Best professor of MBA 21, 2016” at the BI Fudan programme in China.
- Adjunct Professor Christopher Nobes was announced as the winner of this year’s 'Distinguished Academic Award' by the British Accounting and Finance Association.
- Professor Erlend Kvaal has, from 2014 to 2016, headed a regulatory commission appointed by the Government, which has prepared a proposal for a new accounting act. The proposal was presented in two statutory assessments: NOU 2015: 10 and NOU 2016: 11. Associate Professor Tonny Stenheim was appointed secretary for the regulatory commission.
- Professor Marianne Jahre is the Vice President Communications in POMS (Production and Operations Management Society) at the College for Humanitarian Operations & Crisis Management
- Associate Professor Janicke Rasmussen is a member of the executive committee for the National Council for Business Administration (NRØA), which is one of five national councils under the Norwegian Association of Higher Education Institutions.
- Senior Lecturer Eirill Bø is a member of the reference group for the sub-programme for transport "Smart, green and integrated transport" in the EU’s framework programme Horizon 2020 for the Research Council of Norway.
- The Department has recruited many skilled academics this year. Professor Stéphane Dauzère-Pérès was made adjunct professor and is also a professor at the Ecole de Mines de Saint-Etienne. The Department hired two new assistant professors in 2016, Kizkitza Biguri from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra and Erna Engebrethsen from Aker Solutions. Johannes Mauritzen was hired as associate professor at the Trondheim campus. Irmelin Sørensen was hired as an administrative consultant.
- Lecturer Odd Gisholt retired with the farewell seminar “Retail 2026”, which was attended by almost 300 top executives and managers from the grocery and retail sectors.
- Associate Professor Bente Flygansvær organised the Persson Seminar for the fourth consecutive year in cooperation with LOGMA. The topic was “Supply Chain Management with a focus on stock control”.
Selected publications from 2016
- Jahre, Marianne; Kembro, Joakim; Rezvanian, Tina; Ergun, Ozlem; Håpnes, Svein & Berling, Peter. Integrating supply chains for emergencies and ongoing operations in UNHCR. Journal of Operations Management 2016 ; Volume 45. pp. 57-72
- Hope, Ole-Kristian; Hu, Danqi; Lu, Hai.
The benefits of specific risk-factor disclosures. Review of accounting studies 2016 ; Volume 21.(4) pp. 1005-1045
- Dauzère-Pérès, Stéphane; Hassoun, Michael; Sendon, Alejandro.
Allocating metrology capacity to multiple heterogeneous machines. International Journal of Production Research 2016 ; Volume 54.(20) pp. 6082-6091
- Dutillieux, Wouter; Francis, Jere R.; Willekens, Marleen.
The Spillover of SOX on Earnings Quality in Non-U.S. Jurisdictions. Accounting Horizons 2016 ; Volume 30.(1) pp. 23-39
- Hope, Ole-Kristian; Thomas, Wayne B.; Vyas, Dushyantkumar.
Stakeholder demand for accounting quality and economic usefulness of accounting in U.S. private firms. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 2016 ; Volume 36.(1)
- Yiwei, Dou; Hope, Ole-Kristian; Thomas, Wayne B.; Zou, Youli.
Individual Large Shareholders, Earnings Management, and Capital-Market Consequences. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting 2016 ; Volume 43.(7-8) pp. 872-902