Calculate GPA (Grade Point Average)
Here is information you might find helpful for calculating your own Grade Point Average (GPA).
BI Norwegian Business School uses the ECTS scale when calculated GPAs. ECTS stands for European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System and is a standard across the European Union.
All applications to the Master of Science programmes will have the GPA calculated by our Admission Team using the tools BI has developed for calculation and conversion of grades. Diplomas and transcripts with other grade scales will be converted to the ECTS scale before calculating the GPA.
We require all transcripts from your bachelor’s degree, including transcripts of grades from exchange or study abroad semesters.
Learn how BI evaluates transcripts.
The minimum grade requirement for acceptance to one of BI Norwegian Business School’s Master of Science programmes is a GPA of at least 3.50 on an ECTS scale where A=5.0, B=4.0, C=3.0, D=2.0 and E=1.0.
Calculation of GPA based on diplomas with alphabetical grades on the ECTS scale
- Each alphabetical grade is substituted by numerical equivalent: A=5.0, B=4.0, C=3.0, D=2.0 and E=1
- The numerical equivalent is multiplied by the number of credits for the course
- The products of the course and credits are totalled
- The sum is divided by the total number of credits
- The quotient is calculated to three decimal points
- GPAs are not rounded up
You have finished a bachelor's degree consisting of 30 courses each valued at 6 ECTS credits. You have received 10 As, 5 Bs, and 15 Cs.
To calculate the GPA:
- Multiply the grade (A=5, B=4...) by the number of ECTS credits
- Multiple the number of courses with the same grade and add them together-> in this example (5x6x10)+(4x6x5)+(3x6x15)=690.
- Divide the total by the total ECTS credits to find the grade per ECTS, the Grade Point Average -> 690/180=3,83.
In this case, your GPA of 3,83 makes you eligible to be considered for admission to our MSc programmes. Please note your GPA is not the only admission criteria for the MSc programmes and meeting the minimum admission criteria does not guarantee you admission to the programme.
Here is a template you can use to calculate your own GPA, provided that all your grades are on the ECTS scale. BI Norwegian Business School is not liable for misuse and incorrect calculations using this template.