International bachelor programmes
To qualify for admission into our international bachelor programmes, you need higher education entrance qualification and documented proficiency in English.
Our international bachelor programmes include Bachelor of Business Administration and Bachelor of Business Analytics. This page explains the details of the requirements and documentation needed for entry into these programmes.
Please note, we can only discuss matters related to the application with the applicants directly, not with any other parties (parents, spouse, etc). If you as an applicant need others to contact us on your behalf, we require a signed authorization document from you.
In the case that you do not yet meet the admission requirements, we invite our international applicants to consider our Pathway Programme. This is designed to qualify students for admission to a BI bachelor's degree by strengthening your academic and English skills.
For applicants who have completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme:
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma - or
- IB Diploma Programme Course Results / IB Certificate, with these additional requirements:
- A total of minimum 20 points, including any points for Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay.
- Passed at least 3 subjects at standard level and 3 at higher level, or 4 subjects at higher level and 2 at standard level.
- Grade 3 or higher for all subjects at standard level and higher level.
- Passed Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay.
- Creativity, Action and Service (CAS) must be “fully satisfied”.
For applicants with Norwegian education:
- 3 years of upper secondary education is the most common background to qualify. See our admission requirements in Norwegian for other options.
- Good skills in mathematics are recommended.
For applicants with standard Secondary Education / High School:
- Requirements vary between countries. BI follows the official Norwegian regulations by NOKUT. Please consult the GSU list from NOKUT to see the requirements for your country. For some countries, one year of college or university education is required in addition to a high school or school leaving certificate.
- Good skills in mathematics are recommended.
An English test is mandatory for all applicants, both Norwegian and international:
You will need to submit one of the following tests (required minimum score in brackets):
- IELTS Academic (overall band score 6.0)
- TOEFL ibt (78)
- TOEFL pbt (550)
- Pearson PTE Academic (55)
- The European Language Certificate (TELC), telc English B2-C1 University
- University of Cambridge exams:
- B2 First - First Certificate in English (169)
- C1 Advanced - Certificate in Advanced English (169)
- C2 Proficiency - Certificate of Proficiency in English (180)
For TOEFL, BI’s institution code is 0529.
Home editions: If you are prevented from taking the tests above due to test center closures, we accept the following home edition tests for the intake to the academic year of 2021/2022: TOEFL ibt Special Home Edition (78) and the IELTS Indicator test (overall band score 6.0).
An English test is not required if:
- You have a completed high school or a bachelor's degree in the UK, USA, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, or Ireland.
- You have completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP)
Priority application deadlines:
- 1 March for international applicants
- 15 April for Norwegian applicants
After these dates, BI offers rolling admission, based on availability. However, for applicants outside the EU, the latest application date is 1 July, to allow time for securing a student visa and/or residence permit.
In our application portal, you are asked to submit the following documents:
- Transcripts of grades and certificates: Documents must be in English, a Scandinavian language, or in a certified English translation. If you have completed High School or the equivalent, you will need to submit both your High School Diploma and a transcript of grades. If you are required to document one year of university level education in addition to High School, you will need to submit a scan of your official transcript of grades. If you are in your final year of the IB Diploma Programme, please grant BI access to your grades in the IBO database. This enables us to process your application as soon as your final grades are ready in early July. To do this, fill in the "Request for Results Service" form with your IB Coordinator before 1 May.
- Letter of Motivation: A short (1-page) description of your plans and ambitions, and how they relate to your choice of programme. If you are an international student, we would also like to know why you want to study in Norway.
- CV/Resume: List your contact information (e-mail, phone etc), education (school name, degree, dates, and number of years) and work experience (employer's name, type of work, dates, etc.) as well as personal information, including extra-curricular activities.
- Passport: A scan of your passport, showing nationality, name, dates of issue and expiry.
- Financial Plan: An overview of how you intend to finance your studies and living expenses. Please use our financial plan template.