Bachelor of Digital Business
Want to be a part of the digital transformation and innovate businesses? By combining the understanding of core business with technical abilities, you will be equipped to create sustainable organisations and add value.
What will you learn?
This programme is designed to provide you with the necessary competence and skill set to help bridge the gap between business and technology. A powerful and influential disrupter and driver of business change is digitalisation. How businesses succeed in the future will depend on how they evolve digitally. You will learn how digital technology can impact and change operational performance, work practices and the organisation of a business, and how to apply this knowledge to find new business opportunities or make strategic changes to an existing business.
Modern organisations are replacing the traditional hierarchical structure by focusing more on building networks and working in cross-functional teams with a high degree of autonomy. This requires a solid understanding of how digitalisation changes the way organisations are structured and how they operate. Therefore, the programme also aims to give you solid training in problem-solving and interdisciplinary activities, as practised in digital organisations. You will be working in teams with fellow students, and be challenged on your presentation and communication skills.
Some of the topics you will learn about:
- Digital innovation. Learn the fundamentals of digital technology, including technical infrastructures, emerging technologies, cloud computing platforms, enterprise systems, automation technologies, and security, as well as how to build applications.
- Digital behavioural skills. Understand how to organise and lead digitally, plan and manage digital innovation processes, and analyse business problems and challenges in a multi-disciplinary context.
- Business. Gain broad knowledge in core disciplines, such as accounting, finance, economics, marketing, organizational behaviour, management, and strategic management as well as knowledge related to the role of innovation, business models, and business development.
Norway is one of the most digitally competent countries in the world. Today, most digital systems are developed through object-oriented programming that was invented by two Norwegians. We also have a long history of companies that invent digital products and services:
- Tandberg was a leader in the teleconferencing systems and was acquired by Cisco.
- Kongsberg Maritime is a world leader in marine technology.
- Fast Search & Transfer was a leader in search technology and was acquired by Microsoft.
- Autostore took a radical approach to warehouse robot systems (Japanese investment fund Softbank owns 40%).
- Spacemaker developed an AI-based software for early-stage property development and was acquired by Autodesk, a world leader in computer-aided design software.
While our population is small, we have a highly competent environment for developing digital solutions. The public sector and banking sector benefits from that, delivering high-quality solutions to citizens and organizations.
By choosing a bachelor’s degree in digital business, your competence will be based on insights from real-time challenges and a growing and innovative research and development environment with solid roots.
Why choose this programme?
Engaging learning experiences and quality teaching are something we strive to provide, to help you build a solid skill and competency base, making you relevant for the future of work. In the video below, you will get the perspectives of our faculty, and the industry to understand the reasons for choosing to study Digital Business at BI.
Why choose Digital Business?
Digitalisation moves at a pace most organisations are not equipped for, and digital competence is highly sought after in all industries and aspects of society. With changing demand for products and services, organisations are searching for employees with a digital mindset and digital capabilities in this transition. They need resources with a general understanding of business combined with practical and hands-on digital skills. But they also need specific expertise in areas such as change management, cyber security, design and application development.
This programme will give you a head start on building a career for the future and your degree could lead to job opportunities in:
- Public organisations that are trying to transform digitally or understand how their future development can be shaped by digital technologies.
- Private organisations that may not yet see the potential for digital transformation or find it difficult to find the right individuals to transform their organisation.
- Startups that are exploring different digital business models to meet today’s market demands.
Customise your degree
This programme has a flexible study plan which means that you can adapt your degree based on your interests. As a student at BI, you have several exciting opportunities that can contribute to varied and interesting student life, at the same time as you build relevant competence.
Get relevant work and networking experience as part of the study. BI offers internships as elective courses. You choose your own company and get the opportunity to test subjects and industries based on interests, competence, and personal qualities.
You do not have to postpone your studies to satisfy your dream to travel - take parts of your education abroad! If you want to work abroad or in an international company after your studies, this might be particularly relevant to you.
We offer several elective courses so that you can adapt your studies to your wishes and interests. In this way, you can build up competence and get a professional combination that makes you attractive and unique.
What can you study afterwards?
Master of Science at BI. After completing this programme, you have a range of options to continue your education at BI. These are the master programmes you will academically qualify directly to if you fulfil the requirements:
You can also qualify for other master programmes BI offers by taking specific electives. Contact email@example.com for more information. BI reserves the right to change the admission requirements for our master programmes, which may vary from year to year.
- 60 credits (ECTS)
- 60 credits (ECTS)
If you don’t fulfil the requirement above, we have options for you to consider to fulfil the English and/or qualifying year requirement.
If you are a Norwegian citizen, you are qualified for loans and scholarships from Lånekassen.