This master’s programme is future-oriented and offers a set of knowledge and skills that blends data science with business subjects. Candidates who can combine highly advanced analytical skills with business and management skills are in high demand by employers today.
Why study Business Analytics?
The survival and performance of any business depends on the choices that are made. Business analytics plays an essential role in providing the tools to make the right decisions and strategies needed to survive in a competitive market and grow profitably. In a world of Big Data, analytics has become a strategic necessity in virtually all areas of business. Analytics now permeates business sectors from marketing to accounting, sales to logistics, and HR to operations. No industry or market is unaffected by Big Data, so the need for business analytics is universal.
What will you learn?
To make the best decisions, businesses need to master both business and analytics. Through the Master of Science programme in Business Analytics, you will develop the analytical knowledge and skills within an applied business context. Analytics is a means to an end: to achieve greater business value through superior insight. Consequently, you will learn to conduct descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analyses to support and make business decisions. You will develop knowledge and skills through close collaboration with international industry partners. The programme actively utilises team projects so you will acquire and improve your analytical, communication and collaborative skills.
Among the topics, you will find:
- Decision Theory: Learn about biases in decisions, risk, uncertainty, and game theory.
- Data Management: Identify and import data, and learn basic programming.
- Econometrics with Big Data Applications: Learn forecasting and prediction models, causal inference, and machine learning.
The MSc in Business Analytics programme is a two-year, 120-ECTS-credit programme consisting of 90 course credits and 30 MSc thesis credits.
- Core courses Courses common across all programmes at BI.
- Programme courses Courses specific to this programme.
- Electives Courses you can choose yourself.
- Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning (6 ECTS) or Exchange
- Business Simulation Analysis (6 ECTS) or Exchange
- Visualisation and Network Theory (6 ECTS) or Exchange
- Specialisation elective or Exchange
- Specialisation elective or Exchange
- Master Thesis (6 ECTS)
- Big Data and Social Media Analytics (online delivery) (6 ECTS)
- Internship (18 ECTS) or Consultancy Project (18 ECTS) or Research Assistance (18 ECTS)
- Master Thesis (24 ECTS)
- Value-Added Analytics (online delivery) (6 ECTS)
- Marketing Analytics
- Quantitative Risk and Asset Management
- Supply Chain Analytics
- Applying Economic Analysis
Spring semester of Year 1 can also be taken on exchange.
Customise your degree
Gain an advantage in the job market by tailoring your degree. As a Master of Science in Business Analytics student, you can choose either an internship to obtain relevant work experience, or add an international dimension to your degree by going on exchange.
Gain practical work experience with a leading company as an integrated part of your degree.
Why you should spend a semester abroad and where you can go.
With a master's degree in Business Analytics, you will be a relevant and attractive candidate for a great number of positions across a range of businesses and industries.
- Portfolio Analyst
- Campaign Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Marketing Operations Analyst
- HR/People Analyst
- Product Analyst
- Web Analyst
"A well-structured master’s programme that focuses on ‘big data’ skills applied to real business problems is a win-win for all involved; master’s candidates get jobs, the university builds credibility and employers get a steady pipeline of professionals to employ. This is a great initiative and DNB is excited to be part of the solution."
Chief Data Officer at DNB
"The skills BI provides through this master's programme are in high demand. As the leader in analytics software, we are always looking for talent who will contribute to making organisations data driven. This education enables you to create value with analytics, and also provides an opportunity to change society for a smarter future."
Managing Director at SAS Institute
Explore the careers of our alumni with a Master of Science degree.
Click on the profiles to learn more!
Risk Management Analyst, Statoil
Business Analyst, Wilhelmsen Ships Service
E-Commerce Data Analyst, Devex
The Master of Science in Business Analytics is a new programme in development to begin in August of 2018. Details and descriptions are subject to change.