This PhD specialisation is designed to produce graduates who are able to contribute to the advancement of marketing theory and practice.
The programme focuses on developing the doctoral candidates' theoretical knowledge and methodological skills required to become successful marketing researchers. The department seeks candidates with a strong background in disciplines that are fundamental to marketing such as economics, psychology and statistics; candidates are intellectually curious, interested in an academic career in research and teaching, and possess strong communication and analytical skills. It is expected that graduates of the programme will be placed at other leading research institutions. Previous placements include the Columbia University in New York and Cranfield School of Management in the UK.
The Department is international and has a strong research focus. Faculty members have published their research in many of the world's leading marketing journals, such as:
- Journal of Marketing (JM)
- Journal of Marketing Research (JMR)
- Journal of Consumer Research (JCR)
- Marketing Science (MS)
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS)
- International Journal of Research in Marketing (IJRM)
- Journal of Retailing (JR)
- Journal of Product Innovation Management (JPIM)
- Journal of Service Research (JSR)
BI Norwegian Business School's marketing faculty are recognized by their peers and hold numerous review board positions at influential journals, including Journal of Marketing, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Service Research, Journal of Business Research and Journal of International Marketing (JIM). They have won several awards including the prestigious Louis W. Stern Award, the Steenkamp long-term impact award at IJRM, the JSR best paper award, the Hans B. Thorelli Award for best JIM article and the Ig Nobel prize.
Department of Marketing
Associate Dean for Specialisation in Marketing
Specialisation in Strategic Management
Areas of Research
The department seeks candidates interested in all areas of marketing: consumer behavior, marketing strategy and marketing modeling. Substantive fields include branding, business-to-business marketing, international marketing, retailing and services marketing.
Distinguishing Features of the Specialisation
- Highly international profile
- Focus on international academic communication and knowledge dissemination through journal publications and conference participation
- PhD seminars are taught by international experts in the respective areas of research
- The PhD course program provides a thorough training, with in-depth courses in consumer behavior, modeling and strategy
- All PhD candidates receive financial support while in the programme
"The Department of Marketing at BI has a very vibrant research community. Its internationally recognised faculty and diverse group of PhD candidates provide an intellectually stimulating research environment. During my time at BI, I received rigorous scholarly training, conducted high quality research with the guidance of highly qualified faculty, and had several opportunities to present my work at internal seminars and international conferences. All of this contributed to my placement at a leading business school in Europe upon graduation."
BI PhD alumnus, Assistant Professor, IESEG School of Management
BI Norwegian Busines School offers generous scholarship opportunities to fund PhD candidates. Our PhD candidates are temporarily hired by BI and receive financial support for four years.
How to apply
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or would like further information about our PhD programme.