BI’s strategy towards 2025 determines that we shall prepare people and companies for an international, digital and sustainable future. This page shows how we approach sustainability in our research, teaching and within our own organisation.
BI Norwegian Business School’s goal is to shape the labour market of the future through our research and teaching, both in our capacity as the main supplier of economic and administrative education in Norway, and as one of Europe’s leading business schools.
The key factor has always been to offer educational programmes that are up to date and relevant for the actual needs in business. This implies a responsibility to push agendas and spearhead important changes in society.
Research plays a pivotal role in providing us with the knowledge needed to change practices and bring both the private and public sectors forward. In terms of sustainability, our research should contribute to everything from greater value creation and reduced waste, better healthcare management, reduction of white-collar crime and corruption, to macroeconomic modelling and forecasting to predict and prevent crises.
For an overview over BI’s work on sustainability in practice, please have a look at: BI Sustainability and Responsible Management Report 2020 – Sharing information on progress (SIP) 2018-2020.
Strategic focus on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) #4 Quality Education, #5 Gender Equality and #13 Climate Action
BI is committed to realizing UN sustainability goals through offering quality education to our students. In our operations, including employment, running facilities, supply chain management and consumption, special focus will be on Goal 5: Gender equality and Goal 13: Climate Action.
Some of our target areas towards 2025 are:
- To ensure inclusive and quality teaching for all and promote lifelong learning.
- Integrate sustainability in all our courses in alignment with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the UN Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME).
- Offer more specialized lectures, courses and study programmes within sustainability.
- Contribute to the sustainability agenda with relevant research-based knowledge.
- Continue with research that improves our understanding of the vital role corporations, business dynamics and economics play in reaching the sustainability goals.
- Create arenas for better interaction and knowledge-sharing between academics and professionals on sustainable business practices.
Within our own organization
- Achieve a material recycling degree of 65% and remove all unnecessary and disposable plastics by 2022.
- Have environmentally friendly and sustainable campuses, where all conferences and events are organized in accordance with the Eco-Lighthouse certification scheme.
- Promote academic freedom and defend lecturers’ and researchers’ human rights globally through our membership in the «Scholars at Risk (SAR)» network.
"At BI we aim to educate responsible managers and develop knowledge for a sustainable society. Combined with our own contribution to reducing CO2 footprints, we aim to be part of the solution instead of the problem."
President at BI Norwegian Business School
Self-determination in the digital economy
NCIS Led a Session on Digital Self-Determination and the Digital Economy with Harvard’s Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society
BI launches new global scale up program to accelerate digital transformation
BI launches a new Nordic scale up program called GlobalScaleX, which aims to assist companies to accelerate digital transformation and realize international growth ambitions.
Students show how to fix the global food system
Team Inbbictus from Porto Business School won of the Global Case Competition (GCC), which gathered a total of 84 teams from around the globe to promote game changing ideas to support the UN Food Systems Summit in 2021.
Free psychological help for students with urgent needs at campus Oslo
BI is now strengthening its counselling service by offering free help from psychologists and psychiatrists to students who need it.