- Name: Jarrod Anthony Carmichael
- Country: Trinidad and Tobago
- Age: 34
- Programme: MSc in Business Analytics (2021), MSc in Finance (2017)
- Current workplace and position: BearingPoint | Technology Analyst
Studying in Norway
While studying here I was fascinated at how the country’s leading the charge in the fight against climate change. I stayed because it is an economically stable and prosperous country with a lot of opportunities for anyone who wants to contribute. I stayed because I love the outdoors, and here in Norway, the outdoors feels endless.
My perspective on equality
Norway has shown me that the entire country prospers when it puts the health, well-being and prosperity of its residents at the core of what they are doing. I am a minority in this country, and it is important to me that I live and work in a place that genuinely believes in equality. Thankfully, I see evidence of that here every day. I feel confident that Norway is a place where my contributions are valued regardless of my ethnicity, gender, or background.
My perspective on sustainability
The most important perspective on sustainable business I have learned at BI is that the task of driving sustainable business forward cannot just be done by the government, or just the activists or just the people. It is everyone’s responsibility. Luckily, Norwegian society has a shared sense of ownership of this challenge.
My perspective on leadership
The flatter organisational structure in Norway makes me feel like I am working with my boss as opposed to working for my boss.
This helps both myself and my career by allowing for interpersonal relationships which are at the core of business and ultimately any workplace, to develop naturally without the additional pressure that rank and appearance can sometimes add.
Why BI was the right choice for me
- The fact that the programme lasted 2 years was a great plus. It gave me time to get all the tools I needed in the classroom, apply them practically in an internship, and take a deep dive in my area of interest when writing my thesis.
- The freedom to try different directions within business analytics and choose an area to specialise in that I really enjoy without feeling rushed.
- The programme gave me the chance to land an internship at a big financial institution.