This PhD specialisation is designed to produce graduates who are able to contribute to the advancement of marketing theory and practice.
The programme focuses on developing the doctoral candidates' theoretical knowledge and methodological skills required to become successful marketing researchers. The department seeks candidates with a strong background in disciplines that are fundamental to marketing such as economics, psychology and statistics; candidates are intellectually curious, interested in an academic career in research and teaching, and possess strong communication and analytical skills. It is expected that graduates of the programme will be placed at leading research institutions. Previous placements include Bayes Business School, Grenoble Ecole de Management, Nanyang University, University of Groningen, Free University Amsterdam, and ESCP London.
Distinguishing Features of the Specialisation
- Highly international profile
- Focus on international academic communication and knowledge dissemination through journal publications and conference participation
- PhD seminars are taught by international experts in the respective areas of research
- The PhD course program provides a thorough training, with in-depth courses in consumer behaviour, modeling and strategy
- All PhD candidates receive financial support while in the programme
Meet Ioannis Pappas who shares his experience as a PhD candidate
Professor Nina Veflen at the Department of Marketing
Fully funded scholarships
All PhD candidates receive financial support when accepted into the programme. The candidates are hired as full-time employees on an initial four-year contract. Continuation of the support through the four years of the program is dependent on good standing and regular progress towards completing the programme’s requirements. PhD candidates are entitled to full parental leave and health insurance, and are part of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. The workplace is BI Norwegian Business School at its main campus in Oslo.
What you can expect
The four-year study programme leading to a PhD degree is designed to allow you to conduct in-depth research. In addition, it is comprised of a course component, seminars, PhD committees, pre-doctoral defence, and lastly, dissertation and final defence. 25% of the time is reserved for teaching.
The Department of Marketing is international and has a strong research focus. Faculty members have published their research in many of the world's leading marketing journals, such as:
- Journal of Marketing (JM)
- Journal of Marketing Research (JMR)
- Journal of Consumer Research (JCR)
- Marketing Science (MS)
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS)
- International Journal of Research in Marketing (IJRM)
- Journal of Retailing (JR)
- Journal of Product Innovation Management (JPIM)
- Journal of Service Research (JSR)
PhD alumnus in Marketing
"The Department of Marketing at BI has a very vibrant research community. Its internationally recognised faculty and diverse group of PhD candidates provide an intellectually stimulating research environment. During my time at BI, I received rigorous scholarly training, conducted high quality research with the guidance of highly qualified faculty, and had several opportunities to present my work at internal seminars and international conferences. All of this contributed to my placement at a leading business school in Europe upon graduation."
BI PhD alumnus, Assistant Professor, IESEG School of Management