- It is gratifying to see that so many students want to combine relevant work experience with their studies. BI’s internship model sets high standards for an academic foundation and provides students with a unique opportunity to establish contact with the business world and apply theory in practice, BI’s president Inge January Henjesand, said.
There has been great interest from students wishing to participate in the programme. In autumn 2014, more than 90 master students thirsty for experience, applied for this elective and 53 of them got in at one of BI's 17 cooperative enterprises.
Nina Olsen Harvei studies third year finance at BI, and is one of 90 undergraduates who had internship as part of the schedule during the school year 2014/15. She says there is both varied and challenging work at Nordea.
- I wanted relevant work experience and greater insight into the banking industry. I also wanted to see which job opportunities exist in a bank. My work at Nordea has been extremely varied and I feel I was treated like a full-fledged employee, which gave me a lot of motivation, the finance student said.
Recruitment Manager at Nordea, Eivind Hoff, is convinced that Nordea will continue with the programme in the years ahead.
- Internship as an elective is a very good concept. It's a win-win situation for all parties, Nordea, BI and not least the candidate. Students are given the opportunity to learn, try out and experience working life in many ways. Moreover, they are given a unique opportunity to network, Hoff said.
Other companies participating in the programme include TVNorge, BMW, Try, SAS, L'Oreal, KPMG, Gambit H + K and DNB.
The aim of an internship is to give students the opportunity to use the knowledge gained from studies in a practical situation. At the bachelor level, BI’s Internships consist of two days a week at work, as well as a project assignment to be delivered at the end of the internship.
- Since its inception in 2011, a total of 552 students have taken advantage of the internship programme at both undergraduate and MSc level.
- 53 master students had internships on their schedule during the school year 2014/15, for bachelor students, the number was 90 students.
- In total, 136 different companies have participated in the BI Internship programme.
Full story in Finansavisen (Financial newspaper) 07.01.2015.
Facsimile from Finansavisen 07.01.2015.