Economic analysis is based on mathematical concepts and tools like functions
and optimization. This intensive course is designed to enhance the
mathematical knowledge of course participants in areas which are particularly
relevant for doctoral studies of economics and finance.
The course is designed for students in the following programmes:
Ph.D. specialisation in Economics
Ph.D. specialisation in Finance
The course will be based around the following topics:
- Sets and point set topology
- Vectors and linear algebra
- Real analysis in one and several variables
- Unconstrained and constrained optimization
- Correspondences and fixed points
- Differential equations and dynamical systems
- Control theory in continuous and discrete time
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.