- EDI XX04
- 7.5 Credits
Complete course description will be ready summer 2023
Effective communication skills become ever more important as we enter the world of digital business. The workplace is more diverse, having to function in multi-cultural, multinational cross-functional teams. Not only are effective communication skills a requirement for the job but we must be influential in on communication and persuasively present new ideas to colleagues, subordinates, and superiors to inform, motivate, and prepare them for innovation and change.
Tentative: 10 lectures in plenary session. 3 to 4 interactive workshops in small groups.
- Critical thinking: argumentation analysis
- Critical thinking: assumptions and fallacies
- Ethos, logos, pathos, using examples from student manuscripts and popular speeches
- Speech analysis
- Dialogue as ethical communication. Introduction to the Mutual Learning Model.
- Challenging dialogues - case study
- Small groups. Ethos. Speeches, followed by individual feedback on body language, voice.
- Students turn in drafts of their manuscripts. In class - feedback
- Exercise - dialogue for constructive feedback
- Dialogue. Tools for practicing the Mutual Learning Model
- Visual Aids
- Logos for the persuasive speech: argumentation, critical thinking, case study
- Speech delivery with individual feedback
- Draft of manuscript - feedback
- Mock exam - exam preparation
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.