- EXC 3632
- 7.5 Credits
The aim of the course is to introduce the students to the importance of corporate governance in developing sustainable business enterprises. Recent experiences in Norway and other countries have highlighted the effect that poor corporate governance can have on firm performance, survival and reputation. Today, not only investors, but also public authorities and high performance employees are examining a company's corporate governance and control systems before committing to that firm. This course examines the evolving view of corporate governance in a global perspective, and discusses if sustainability challenge is a possible game changer when it comes to corporate governance.
- Introduction to the course, the history of the corporate governance field
- Corporate governance theories
- Comparative approaches
- Board composition, interaction and performance
- Organization strategy, business models and risk assessment
- Incentives and compensation
- Reporting, audit and control
- Shareholder and stakeholder engagement
- Value creation vs. control
- Corporate governance standards
- New trends, course wrap up
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.