- GRA 8516
- 5 Credits
This course is part of the Executive Master of Management in Energy in cooperation with BI Norwegian Business School and IFP School.
Shaping the future of the energy sector is a particularly challenging task.
It comprises the understanding of the socio economic trends, the market and business transformations from the impact of the digital revolution, the business organizational and operational changes in light of the digital characteristics and features and how complex & large energy projects are to be managed and executed in an international global environment.
This course in module 5 sets the business direction necessary for shaping the future in the energy sector by utilising strategic and operational perspectives in an unpredictable world through assessment by the VUCA methodology and approaches. (VUCA: Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, Ambiguity).
Key topics are in this course:
- The characteristics of the energy sector development, transition and trends and how it impacts the energy business, in electricity as well as in oil & gas
- Likely developments and trends in strategy & business clusters in the energy sector
- Identification of likely elements providing competitive advantages
- Understanding of new business models, the impact of increased consumer power and how to cope with the fundamental transformation from a traditional one-dimensional value chain perspective towards a consumer and service oriented value creation in value networks and value shops under conditions characterised by Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity and Ambiguity(the VUCA catergorization).
- The opportunities of fully utilizing the digital revolution in strategic and operational issues within the electricity, oil & gas industries
- The importance of the demand for a green transformation in energy sector of the future
- The future on how to manage, plan and execute global complex and capital intensive projects including the complexity of the supply chain management in oil, gas and power generation in an unpredictable, volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous business environment
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.