Sustainability has become an overreaching concept, setting the agenda for future generations. Within this agenda, it is essential to put words into action. In ‘Distribution in the Circular Economy’ the focus is looking at how distribution as an area can contribute to sustainable development, by incorporating principles of the circular economy. Any company is linked to other actors, whether it is suppliers, customers, logistics service providers, recyclers, or other intermediaries. The performance of the individual firm is dependent on how all cooperating partners achieve efficient division of labor and manage relationships in the distribution arrangement, including all steps from taking products to market, facilitate returns and closing the loop. Such distribution arrangements are developing in a global context, and sustainable and circular considerations are necessary perspectives for future business. This course will address operational and strategic issues, challenges, and responsibilities in circular supply chains. Discussions will focus on how to develop, use, and adapt business models to promote circularity within the field of distribution.
Major topics to be covered include:
- Introduction to the area of distribution and the circular economy
- The concept of business models for distribution channels and circular ecosystems
- Network and governance theories for distribution arrangements
- Transport modes and the role of transport in the economy and global trade
- Logistics service providers, their networks, and relationships
- Measurement, costing and pricing issues in transport and distribution
- Value creation logics from an activity and resource perspective
- Circular economy and reverse logistics systems
- Recycling and Waste management
- Sustainability considerations in distribution and transport
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.