Financial technology (Fintech) refers to the digitalization and technological innovations in the financial industry, which has transformed and continues to disrupt and transform financial markets, institutions and services, as well as offer alternative payment systems with digital currencies. The aim of this course is three-fold: (i) to cover the origins and current state and trends of Fintech in all aspects of the financial industry, (i) envision the potentials of technology in improving financial services and the efficiency of financial markets, and (iii) understand the potential threats and risks posed by digitalization.
Several new financial technology companies aim to decentralize current financial systems and markets, while others pose threats to the traditional financial institutions whose services rely more on the human factor and less on the information technology. Facing these threats, the incumbent financial institutions respond by modernizing their services through embracing Fintech and digitalizing their services.
The course will give students the necessary insight into the Fintech revolution, opportunities and threats and prepare them for
- Developing their own Fintech ideas
- Work for Fintech companies aimed to offer new financial services
- Working for traditional financial institutions that aim to embrace digitalization
- Working with regulators that aim to design rules that minimize the potential threats of decentralization without hindering the benefits of digitalization
The course will cover the following topics:
- The Fintech ecosystem
- Digital currency, blockchains, and distributed ledgers
- Fintech and the retail banking sector
- Digitalization of trading
- Asset management and robo-advisors
- P2P financial markets
- Smart contracts
- Big data and predictive analytics
- The future of financial technology
- The regulatory challenges of Fintech
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.