The aim of the consultancy project is to apply the knowledge and skills that students have acquired during the EMBA program to solve a real-life substantial managerial problem/challenge for an organization of their choice.
The consultancy project trains the students in conducting evidence-based analyses of a substantial managerial problem/challenge and to think critically about challenges connected to realizing the suggested solution to the organization.
The work on the consultancy project is conducted as a team project. This also gives the students practical training in solving business problems together with other people through collaborative non-hierarchical teamwork.
The Consultancy Project is an integral part of the EMBA degree. The subject for the consultancy project is provided by the organization and must be approved by the Associate Dean EMBA. The students should be able to observe and discuss the topic with people dealing with the challenge in the organization. Issues encountered in the coursework should be discussed in the report, and the students should demonstrate their ability to apply the models, theories and methods that they have studied to the real-life situation. The project is supervised by a representative from the organizationa who ensures that the project is being led according to its objectives and guidelines, as well as by a BI faculty advisor whose role is to coach the team in developing and executing the project, particularly ensuring the academic quality.
The course will support the students in developing the following elements of a consulting report:
- A short presentation of the organization and the challenge to be addressed
- An application and discussion of theories and concepts that are relevant for the challenge
- A presentation and justification of the methodological approach, data source(s) and analysis. The group may apply a conventional strategic planning approach, a design-inspired process involving experimentation/prototyping, or a combination depending on what is appropriate for the project.
- A presentation/synthesis of findings and analysis of the challenge/situation
- A discussion on how the challenges can be handled and a proposed solution
- A plan/suggestion for next steps
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.