- GRA 6292
- 6 Credits
In today’s globalized world, all financial decisions, such as investments, mergers and acquisitions, have international dimensions. The international dimension adds additional challenges and layers of complexity. In particular, exchange rates and cross-country differences in regulation, taxation, political risk and governance quality all impact the way financial decisions are made.
This course aims to provide the participants with a sound understanding of financial decision-making in the multinational firm. The course is applied in nature and can be broadly split into three parts. The first part of the course covers the basics of exchange-rate determination, including payment systems and the organization of foreign exchange markets. It will also cover developments in digital cash, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain technologies. The second part covers instruments to manage and hedge exchange-rate risk. The third, and most important part of the course, focuses on the financial management of the multinational firm. It covers some traditional issues in corporate finance such as capital budgeting, cost of capital, and investments in physical assets, and how these issues are analysed in an international perspective.
- Basics of Exchange Rate Determination
- The Multinational Firm and the International Monetary System
- The Foreign Exchange Market – Triangular Arbitrage
- The Foreign Exchange Market - Parity Relations
- Hedging foreign-exchange risk
- Forwards and futures
- Currency options
- Financial management of the multinational firm
- Foreign exchange exposure and management
- Foreign direct investment and cross-border acquisitions
- International capital structure and the cost of capital
- International capital budgeting
- Multinational cash management
- International trade finance
- International tax environment and transfer pricing
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.