This course has been cancelled autumn 2023.
This course offers an advanced introduction to the major theories of international trade, thereby providing critical insight in the functioning of our globalized economy and the breeding grounds for resentment against this globalization. Specifically, these major trade theories enhance our understanding of first, the aggregate and distributional consequences of international trade. Second, they shed light on the interplay between firm dynamics and international trade: the role firms play in shaping outcomes of international trade, and how trade affects the distribution of economic activity across firms.
Main topics are
- comparative advantage and gains from trade
- new trade theory based on monopolistic competition and increasing returns to scale
- firm in international trade
- international trade, factor mobility and foreign direct investments
- international trade and growth
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.