Multinational enterprises are key actors in international business, and this course will focus on strategy and management of multinational enterprises. This entails looking at how multinationals expand internationally, how they manage and coordinate activities across borders, and leadership and management challenges of complex, multinational organizations.
The course covers various aspects of strategy, management and operations of multinational enterprises. The sessions are based on a combination of textbook chapters, journal articles, teaching cases and class discussion to analyse and understand multinational firms. Topics include:
- Introduction: the Multinational Company (MNC)
- Foreign operating modes
- Strategy and structure of MNCs
- Managing risk in international business
- Cultural and institutional differences
- International human resource management
- Employees and industrial relations
- Global production networks
- Knowledge sharing in MNCs
- Social and environmental responsibilities in MNCs
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.