Communication is a fundamental part of most marketplace transactions. In its purest form, price communicates the information necessary for a transaction. In most cases, however, marketers have to communicate more than just price in order to establish, sustain, and grow their business. So how does communication in the marketplace work? How can marketers succeed in nowaday's fast-paced, digital, and international communication environment? In order to address these important questions, this course aims to provide a deep understanding of marketing communication, both in terms of real-life application, and as a field of scientific research.
Over the duration of the course, students will work in groups on a communication-related project for a real client. The lectures will provide inspiration for the group projects in two ways:
1) We will discuss concepts and theories in marketing and consumer psychology that are relevant to marketing communication. These insights may be used in the project. We will also pay attention to theoretical and methodological challenges in these research areas.
2) We will meet guest speakers holding various key functions in marketing communication (e.g., on the client side, the agency side, the media side). These practitioners will provide insights into the daily business and the current challenges of marketing communication.
The topics below are exemplary and subject to change.
- The structure of marketing communications (client, agencies, media channels)
- Managing marketing communications (budgeting, measuring impact, integrating marketing communications)
- Message strategies and execution
- How marketing communications work (psychological models of how marketing communications work, persuasion)
- Understanding consumer information processing
- Multisensory marketing communication
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.