This course introduces Python and SQL, two of the most popular and indispensable programming languages for data analysts. In addition, the course covers the basics of data management with focus on relational databases.
Using available data to gain insights and make correct decisions is becoming essential for almost any business in today’s world.
- Introduction, installation of Python, Jupyter lab, IDEs.
- Executing Python code.
- Variables, basic types, user input and output.
- Control flow (conditional execution, loops).
- Organizing code (functions and libraries).
- Data structures.
- Strings, reading, writing and processing text files. Regular expressions.
- Extracting data from the web.
- Vectors and matrices (NumPy), random numbers and the Monte Carlo method.
- Processing and analyzing tabular data with Pandas (reading, cleaning, manipulating, grouping and aggregating data).
- Plotting and visualization (Matplotlib, Seaborn).
- Introduction to relational databases.
- Structured Query Language (SQL).
- The relational model.
- Programming with databases.
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.