The aim of this course is to equip the students with basic tools in programming, data extraction and visualization of datasets. Using a learning-by-doing approach, we solve basic problems encountered in data science using Python. The course will be using a blended learning approach with a focus on solving practical problems under guidance by teachers. Data examples for business applications will be given.
- Basics of Python
- Understand variables and data types.
- Use statements for automated tasks (conditionals and loops).
- Write functions.
- Data extraction and exploratory analysis
- Read and write data with Python.
- Access a sub-set of a dataset, changing parts of the data, etc.
- Analyze data quality.
- Compute summary statistics and interpret the results.
- Visualization techniques
- Use univariate plots and multivariate plots to visualize data.
- Interpret the results of the plots.
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.