- GRA 2239
- 6 Credits
In today's ever-changing and increasingly complex business environments, the role of leadership has become more critical than ever before. As markets and technologies continue to evolve and global challenges threaten our society and planet, organizations must step up to create socially and environmentally sustainable solutions that address the urgent global challenges. This is where leaders have a major responsibility and can play a crucial role in driving people and organizations towards a more sustainable future.
Leadership is no longer just about crafting a clear vision or motivating employees. It's about creating a culture that fosters collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement. It is not only about responsibility towards the organization and the employees, but also towards society and the planet we live in.
This course addresses critical questions such as what characteristics are essential for succeeding in leadership roles in today’s business environment? How do leaders inspire and guide individual and group behavior within organizations towards a common goal? How can leaders contribute the advancement of organizations while also attending to the needs of society and the planet? What are the roles of values and ethics in shaping leadership today and in the future? What is the responsibility of leaders in creating more diverse and equitable societies that foster social sustainability in the long run?
In this course, we'll dive deep into the topic of leadership, drawing from a variety of disciplines including psychology, sociology, organization, and management to provide a comprehensive understanding of what it takes to be an effective leader in today's world. The focus is on the application of leadership principles and knowledge in practice through thought-provoking case analyses, engaging workshops, and immersive simulations, we explore a variety of topics related to leadership.
Topics covered in the course include:
- Introduction to leadership
- How has leadership been studied and what approaches can help us better understand and reflect on effective leadership in today’s complex business environment?
- Why is socially and environmentally responsible leadership critical in the face of the global challenges threatening our society and planet?
- Leader characteristics
- What traits and characteristics of effective leadership are essential?
- Are leadership traits innate or can we develop them, and how?
- Managing change and organizational politics
- What is the psychological and sociological science behind change management?
- How can leaders navigate organizational politics to achieve goals responsibly?
- Leading others
- What strategies are best suited for leading and motivating employees in contexts where markets and technologies continue to evolve and global challenges threaten our society and planet?
- Leadership values, ethics, and diversity
- What are the roles of values and ethics in shaping leadership today and in the future?
- What is the responsibility of leaders in creating more diverse and equitable societies that foster social sustainability in the long run?
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.