- EXC 3651
- 7.5 Credits
The task of this course is to help understand the economics of the shipping industry. What makes it so special is the great volatility in the industry and it is a perfect market for blending theory and practice. Because shipping is such an old and international industry, with a history of continuous change, we have a unique opportunity to learn from the past.
The essence of business administration includes corporate finance (i.e. investment and financing). Good knowledge within these areas is a necessary prerequisite to understand the economic content of investment and financing decisions. There is vital knowledge for people working in the shipping industry. Further it is important to be able to obtain decision-relevant information, discuss and assess alternatives, make correct decisions and convey relevant and useful information.
The aim of this course in corporate finance in the shipping industry is to provide the students with essential knowledge and skills, so that they can take part in discussions on problems in finance and carry out simple analyses within the field, make correct decisions and communicate the results of the analyses in a comprehensible manner.
The course focuses mainly on capital structure in general, and capital structure in the shipping industry in particular and being able to make sustainable decisions.
- Cost, Revenue and Cash Flows in the Shipping Industry, ch. 6 (MS)
- Project analysis, ch. 10 (BMA)
- Investment, Strategy and Economic Rents, ch. 11 (BMA)
- Risk, Return and Shipping Company Economics, ch. 8 (MS)
- Efficient Markets and Behavioral Finance, ch. 13 (BMA)
- An overview of Corporate Finance, ch. 14 (BMA)
- How Corporations Issue Securities, ch. 15 (BMA)
- Pay-out Policy, ch. 16 (BMA)
- Does Deby Policy matter?, ch. 17&18 (BMA)
- Financing Ships and Shipping Companies, ch. 7 (MS)
- Financing and Valuation, ch. 19 (BMA)
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.