The course provides a broad introduction to the main features of the role of firms in the economy. The versatility of firms will be presented in a broader social context with the aid of historical, ethical and theoretical perspectives. The course aims to educate participants through an introduction to the history of ideas and the economic history of the Western world. The historical perspective will enable students to understand important topical challenges such as digitization, internationalization and the need for sustainable business.
- The firm and the limited company.
- The firm and the three industrial revolutions
- The problem of self-interest
- Corporate social responsibility
- Multinationals and globalization
- Innovation and entrepreneurship?
- Innovation - state and society
- The state and the firm
- Sustainability and the firm
- Summing up
This is an excerpt from the complete course description for the course. If you are an active student at BI, you can find the complete course descriptions with information on eg. learning goals, learning process, curriculum and exam at portal.bi.no. We reserve the right to make changes to this description.