Analytics for Strategic Management
This master programme aims to create professionals who can bridge the gap between decision-makers and data scientists.
- Credits: 30
- Price: 99,600 NOK
- See schedule
Why Analytics for Strategic Management?
Business digitalization is changing the content and process of strategic analysis. While classical “big picture” analysis skills remain relevant, more executives now need to understand advanced forms of data analytics to articulate and evaluate strategies.
While data science and analytics professionals typically come from either computer science or statistics, and have years of technical training, strategic decision-makers are typically trained and experienced in business management. As strategy-making grows increasingly dependent on analytics, organizational capacity to bridge the distance between decision-makers and data scientists becomes essential.
Analytics for Strategic Management aims to create professionals who can bridge this gap, and become sophisticated data consumers. Through lectures, workshops and real-world cases, you will learn analytics’ foundational concepts and how to apply those to strategic management.
- Competitive Advantage through Data: This module begins with an overview of contemporary strategy perspectives, and explores how data collection has changed in the past few years and how this has the potential to affect business strategy and decision-making.
- Analytics Concepts and Processes for Strategic Management: This module introduces analytics as a scientific process involving problem specification, modeling, data collection, analysis, and summary.
- Implementing Analytics for Strategic Management: This is is the first of two more technical modules. It will formalize module 2's concepts and implement and visualize them by using the Python programming language.
- Summarizing Data driven recommendations: You will learn how to use Data Visualization to communicate analytics projects and strategy implications.
- Workshop on Implementing Analytics: This module integrates the earlier modules as a workshop in which you apply analytics process and procedures to your term projects. You will present in class and work in teams, together with faculty, to refine your strategic management projects.
This master programme is 30 credits. The programme is taught over the course of one year and consists of five modules. The modules are three-five days each. The five modules are taught at BI's facilities. There will also be webinars between each module.
- This programme can be included in the degree Executive Master of Management.
You receive a diploma for each accomplished Master of Management programs (30 ECTS). Completion of three Master of Management programs rewards candidates with an Executive Master of Management degree diploma, disclosing three chosen programs with a total of 90 ECTS.
- A completed Bachelor degree, equivalent of 180 officially recognised credits from a university or university college.
- You are at least 25 years of age
- You have 4 years full-time work experience. If you have a prior Master degree, the requirement is 3 years full-time work experience.
Read more about the admission requirements for this programme.
There are no requirements for prior knowledge beyond the admission requirements.
Basic English skills are recommended.
The students are evaluated through a term paper and a written exam. The term paper counts for 60% of the total grade, and can be solved individually or in groups of three students. The individual three hour written exam counts for 40% of the total grade.
Teaching language is English.
A syllabus is available in the student portal for applicants who have been admitted to the programme. Username and password for the student portal will be sent to you before the start date.
The tuition fee is normally charged in two instalments, 1-2 weeks after the start of each semester. You will find the invoice under My invoice in the student portal.
See Tuition Fees at BI Norwegian Business School for complete overview.
Note that the study contract is personal, even if your employer pays for the program.
The Executive Master of Management practices rolling admissions of students on the individual programs as long as there is capacity.
Is there a waiting list for the program? Read more about this here.
"This course is aimed at managers who want to become sophisticated consumers of analytics. The idea is to learn just enough analytics that you know what to ask for and where the pressure points are. The participants will learn from cases, discussions, live examples and assignments."
Associate Professor, Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship
John Chandler Johnson holds a PhD in sociology from Stanford University and has extensive international market research and operations consulting experience. His research formalizes microsociological theories of endogenous social network evolution.
Espen Andersen is the Director of BI Center for Digitization. He has consulted on technology and strategy issues for a wide range of organisations in the United States and Europe, and is a frequent speaker on technology and strategic management topics.
This program is scheduled to run fall 2024/spring 25.
We reserve the right to make changes to the schedule.
- Credits: 30
- Price: 99,600 NOK