Analytics for Strategic Management
This master programme aims to create professionals who can bridge the gap between decision-makers and data scientists.
Why Analytics for Strategic Management?
Business digitalization is changing the content and process of strategic analysis. While classical “big picture” analysis skills remain relevant, more executives now need to understand advanced forms of data analytics to articulate and evaluate strategies.
While data science and analytics professionals typically come from either computer science or statistics, and have years of technical training, strategic decision-makers are typically trained and experienced in business management. As strategy-making grows increasingly dependent on analytics, organizational capacity to bridge the distance between decision-makers and data scientists becomes essential.
Analytics for Strategic Management aims to create professionals who can bridge this gap, and become sophisticated data consumers. Through lectures, workshops and real-world cases, you will learn analytics’ foundational concepts and how to apply those to strategic management.
- Competitive Advantage through Data: This first module begins with an overview of contemporary strategy perspectives, and explores how data collection has changed in the past few years and how this has the potential to affect business strategy and decision-making.
- Analytics Concepts and Processes for Strategic Management: This module introduces analytics as a scientific process involving problem specification, modeling, data collection, analysis, and summary.
- Implementing Analytics for Strategic Management: This is is the first of two more technical modules. It will formalize module 2's concepts and implement and visualize them by using the Python programming language.
- Summarizing Data driven recommendations: You will learn how to use Data Visualization to communicate analytics projects strategy implications.
- Workshop on Implementing Analytics: This module integrates the earlier modules as a workshop in which you apply analytics process and procedures to your term projects. You will present in class and work in teams, together with faculty, to refine your strategic management projects.
"This course is aimed at managers who want to become sophisticated consumers of analytics. The idea is to learn just enough analytics that you know what to ask for and where the pressure points are. The participants will learn from cases, discussions, live examples and assignments."
Associate Professor, Department of Strategy
Her research interests focus on Innovation strategy, Entrepreneurship, Firm growth and the effects of Financial constraints for innovative firms. Before joining BI she worked as Assistant Professor at the University Carlos III in Madrid.
John Chandler Johnson
He has a Ph.D. in sociology and an MS in statistics from Stanford University.
Director of BI Center for Digitization. He has consulted on technology and strategy issues for a wide range of organisations in the United States and Europe, and is a frequent speaker on technology and strategic management topics.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or would like further information about our Executive Programmes.
Oslo: 21 February
Oslo spring/fall 2017
Module 1: 21 - 24 February
Module 2: 02 - 05 May
Module 3: 06 - 09 June
Module 4: 26 - 29 September
Module 5: 24 - 27 October
The programme is taught over the course of one year and consists of five modules. The modules are three-five days each. The five modules are taught at BI's facilities. There will also be webianrs between each module.
Each programme runs over one year and is completed with two examinations; project paper and a written exam. You receive a diploma for each accomplished Master of Management programs (30 ECTS). Completion of three Master of Management programs rewards candidates with an Executive Master of Management degree diploma, disclosing three chosen programs with a total of 90 ECTS.
See Tuition Fees at BI Norwegian Buisness School for complete overview.
Read the admission requirements for this programme.